[haiku] Re: GSoC '12 Introduction

  • From: Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 00:15:19 -0700

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Balaji Rao <balajirrao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi!

> I am looking to work on Haiku as part of GSoC 2012.
>
> I am mainly interested in the kernel side.I have some experience
> coding for the Linux kernel and etherboot.
>
> I have identified two projects from the list of suggested projects for
> GSoC 2012.
>
> 1. Implement BTRFS support. -  I have studied the BTRFS implementation
> a little in the linux kernel and also have written a couple of
> elementary patches.

I'm not sure if it is mentioned on the ideas page, but we already have
preliminary read support for BTRFS, you can see the source here:
http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/btrfs

So if you decide to work on BTRFS the project would be implementing
write support and maybe improving the read support (not sure what
features are already available).

> 2. ACPI Video Extensions - (Slightly less interesting to me) I have
> some driver writing experience in the linux kernel and I believe I can
> do this too.
>
> My questions are :
>
> 1. Which one would be of higher priority to Haiku ? (I guess it is the
> ACPI thing ? If yes how much higher than the BTRFS thing ?)

I don't think one is strictly higher priority than the other, so if
the BTRFS task interests you more, it's better to aim for that one.
That said, when the time comes you can put in two applications if you
so choose. This might even be better for you, since another student
could also apply for one of these projects.

> 2. I'm thinking of starting off with a patch that would say, be able
> to mount BTRFS and do some elementary thing like list files etc.Is
> this a good way to start ?

As I mentioned above, we already have read support for BTRFS. I think
a good way to start would be looking into the existing BTRFS code and
maybe fixing bugs/TODOs or finding some feature that isn't yet
supported and implementing it.

> Thank you!

Thanks for your interest, good luck!

--Alex