[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 - Permission to use Haiku logo

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 10:59:02 -0700

On 8/4/07, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is a world of difference to how the current Haiku experience will
> be perceived if the CD is a fancy screen printed one complete with
> official logo compared with if it is a CD-R with a handwritten label
> giving the revision number and extra contents.
> -In scenario 1 the professional presentation says, however
> subconsciously, "this is a release that someone has thought about".
> Making it look too finished will just set people up for disappointment
> when they run it.
> -On the other hand, a handwritten CD-R immediately feels like it is just
> a snapshot of the current state of the project. People would look more
> for the potential and be more accepting of any bugs.

Due to time constraints and costs, we were going to use Lightscribe
discs. So it was going to be something in between "professionally
mastered" and "handwritten". Which I think exactly mirrors the state
of things ;)

Sorry if I didn't mention that before, maybe it would help identify
that we're not trying to make this look like a bunch of kids making
copies for each other, but we're also not trying to make this look
like a polished system.

> Also, as Michael mentioned, we are looking for developers. That means
> convincing people both that Haiku has potential and that there are
> plenty of things they can help with. I think that message is also better
> communicated by a CD that looks "unfinished", both on the outside and
> the inside. It's more a cry for help to developers than a pre-alpha for
> users.
>
> Obviously more people are likely to try out the CD that looks better.
> But that shouldn't really be the goal. Talking to people, getting them
> sold on the goals, and giving them a CD simply to save them the trouble
> of downloading the images seems like the best plan to me. Just giving
> out lots of good-looking CDs may do more harm than good in the first
> impression stakes. We really don't want people to think that we think
> it's finished!

At this point, I'm not sure we'd would even be handing out the discs
to anyone who doesn't come over to see what Haiku looks like - they
get a quick demo, we tell them they can take a disc if they want to
play with it at home. We explain the state of Haiku so they know what
to expect. Sound reasonable, no?

In any case, I believe I have already received the final response from
Michael in a private email - I will spend some time thinking about it
and possibly discuss it him further - but at this point, it appears
the answer is basically a "no". I'm specifying that here for the
public's sake so we don't sit around trying to convince each other
when the decision has already been made.

- Urias