[openbeos] Re: Driver wrappers for openbeos ?

  • From: Stephen Pedrosa Eilert <spedrosa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:33:38 -0200

Thijs Withaar wrote:

But it does raise the question - is OpenBeos simply concerned with
building the components of BeOS or providing the drivers as well? Will

There must be drivers shipped with openbeos, else the OS is not
very usable. but for R1 a minimum amount (e.g. for sound only soundblaster
clone support,
which makes sound work on the majority of systems anyway) will do, i think.

Yes, it makes sound "work". The problem is that many of the "Soundblaster-compatible" cards are in fact compatible with the old Soundblaster PRO(8 bit sound card). You can pretty much tell if it's the case looking how many DMA channels it asks for the compatibility mode. SoundBlaster 16 used TWO channels, for 16 bit sound. For example, I'm writing this from a computer that has an integrated AC'97 sound card (VIA chipset). Although the sound works, it has awful latency issues, and samples only half of the data(so, it's impossible to listen to mp3, the sound is terrible). However, under Linux I have a native driver, and works perfectly.

Stephen Pedrosa Eilert