[openbeos] Re: Disk problems with installing second system

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:52:55 +0200 CEST

"Bruno van Dooren" <bruno_van_dooren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i did this. i repartitioned my disk: i removed my old linux partition
> install BeTest, a second BeOS install. i could not create an extra
> partition, although there was still room free.
> then i recalled that i used lilo, and that i had to reconfigure it to
> be
> able to boot BeTest.
> so i booted my linux install cd, installed it on some free space, and
> created a fat32 disk for sharing data while i was at it.
>
> so i did that, booted into linux, added
> other=/dev/hda5
>     label="BeTest"
>     table=/dev/hda
>
> but running lilo gave the error: could not open partition table. (5
> was the
> correct partition number. i checked that.)

BeOS only supports primary partitions, no extended/logical ones. There
was nothing wrong with lilo, I would guess.
I don't know remember if it's a version issue, but using Linux's fdisk
has had some issues, maybe it's also related to that.

> i was able to configure lilo to boot my old BeOS install, but while
> booting
> it complained about there not being a bootable BeOS volume.

Because it was obviously not installed on a primary partition.

> SHOCK HORROR: the installer did not recognize any volumes, and was
> not able
> to do anything.
> after removing some volumes i was able to boot BeOS, only to discover
> that
> of the 2 BeOS volumes, i removed the wrong one...
>
> AAAAAAAAAAARGHHH
>
> ok luckily i had backups of my ps2 driver projects, so no harm done
> there. i
> only lost a day of work on my nvidia driver. that sucks, but it could
> be
> worse.

If you haven't filled that partition yet too much already, please check
out my BFS-tools (requires a running BeOS, though) to recover the data
from that partition. It will even work (but data my have been
corrupted) if you already created a new file system on that partition.

> can anybody tell me what i did do wrong? my guess is that there were
> too
> many volumes on the disk. that or the Be installer cannot read lilo
> master
> boot records.
> can this be true?

The Be installer doesn't have to read lilo's data. It only loads the
partition data from the MBR.

Adios...
   Axel.