[openbeos] Re: Disk problems with installing second system

  • From: Kevin Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:35:43 -0700

I was surprised to read the claim that one could boot into BeOS only if BeOS
were installed on a primary partition. I have been experimenting with
multi-booting for a few months now, and have always taken advantage of the
fact that BeOS boots and runs perfectly well regardless of whether the
partition it is installed on is primary or logical.

For instance, on one of my old machines now I am multi-booting six operating
systems from a single physical hard disk:
QNX Neutrino RTOS 6.2.1
Microsoft Windows Me
BeOS Release 4
BeOS Developer Edition 1.1 (R5)
BeOS 5.0.3 Professional Edition
Red Hat Linux 9

I can't recall exactly what my partition setup is anymore, but I do know
that QNX and Windows each reside on a primary partition. This means that
only one of the remaining four operating systems could reside on a third
primary partition, and all others must reside on logical partitions within
an extended partition. All six OSes boot just fine. I use BeOS's bootman on
the MBR as my bootloader.

By the way, I've been looking for an excuse to share this URL with everyone
here, and this discussion is as good an excuse as I'm likely to get... :-)
Here is story about one young fellow's adventures in multi-booting published
in Maximum PC in September of last year:

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2002-09-24.html

He has managed to install and boot 37 operating systems on six hard disks
within a single PC (and the count climbs to 53 if you count separately all
the DOS window managers that are also installed in this box). And guess
which is his favorite operating system of the entire lot...?  :-)

Czeslaw Czapla