[openbeos] Disk problems with installing second system

  • From: "Bruno van Dooren" <bruno_van_dooren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:03:44 +0200

> The best choice is a second bootable installation that you can boot off
of. Disks are cheap. If you have two of them, that would be best.

ehrm...
i did this. i repartitioned my disk: i removed my old linux partition to
install BeTest, a second BeOS install. i could not create an extra
partition, although there was still room free.
then i recalled that i used lilo, and that i had to reconfigure it to be
able to boot BeTest.
so i booted my linux install cd, installed it on some free space, and
created a fat32 disk for sharing data while i was at it.

so i did that, booted into linux, added
other=/dev/hda5
    label="BeTest"
    table=/dev/hda

but running lilo gave the error: could not open partition table. (5 was the
correct partition number. i checked that.)
i was able to configure lilo to boot my old BeOS install, but while booting
it complained about
there not being a bootable BeOS volume.

then i figured: something was wrong with lilo, an i decided to run the beos
installer and install beloader.

SHOCK HORROR: the installer did not recognize any volumes, and was not able
to do anything.
after removing some volumes i was able to boot BeOS, only to discover that
of the 2 BeOS volumes, i removed the wrong one...

AAAAAAAAAAARGHHH

ok luckily i had backups of my ps2 driver projects, so no harm done there. i
only lost a day of work on my nvidia driver. that sucks, but it could be
worse.

can anybody tell me what i did do wrong? my guess is that there were too
many volumes on the disk. that or the Be installer cannot read lilo master
boot records.
can this be true?

kind regards.
    Bruno.