[openbeos] Re: Clipboard format standards for video and audio

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:46:50 +0200

On 2006-06-11 at 20:03:55 [+0200], "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)"
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 19:17 +0200, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > On the other hand, I don't know if it is such a useful idea to pass video
> > or audio data from one app to another. It *sounds* cool, but I'm hard
> > pressed to imagine a situation in which this is useful.
>
> I can think of some... :-)

These "examples" are (IMHO) not anymore specific than the general idea "it
would be great to copy and paste video". But I will try to comment on each
individually...

> - Copy part of a sound/video clip and paste it into an email

To me it seems more straight forward to render the specific part and drop
the resulting file into the email. I think this is what more users are
likely to try, because they would feel they have more control of what
happens. I have learned that "copy and paste" is in many situations too
general and gives not enough control. Drag and drop is more specific.

> - Copy part of a sound/video clip and paste it into a document

That's not really an example. What kind of document? A presentation?

> - Copy part of a sound/video clip and "paste" it as a file (in Tracker)

Again, I find it much more likely that the application implements negotiated
drag and drop, and then the user has much more control of the process.
(Basically skipping the "save" dialog when dragging something to Tracker.)

> - Copy & paste between different audio/video editing apps

Again, much too generic. It totally depends on the apps in question. It
might not make any sense to copy between to given apps, because there is not
enough control of what will happen. The complexity comes with the fact that
multi-media is multi dimensional data. It is the problem of layers and
graphical objects in 2D apps opposed to just pixels, only much bigger!

I share the opinion of Axel, we should wait for some real apps and needs
before deciding anything.

Best regards,
-Stephan