[openbeos] C++ in the kernel

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:12:24 -0800

Could someone explain to me which features of C++ I'm not allowed to
use in the kernel, preferably with an explanation of why, if
possible? And is it the same everywhere, or are certain parts more
restricted than others?

OTOH, if someone feels like doing an exhaustive newsletter article on
the topic, I'm happy to wait <cough>. :-)

Here's my impression of the current blacklist (some of these have
been explained to me before, but the explanations didn't really stick
:-):
- exceptions: not sure why
- virtuals: not sure why
- STL: not sure why

And here are a couple I'm specifically curious about:
- new and delete
- templates (and no, I don't need to know who thinks templates are God
  given and who thinks they're the spawn of the devil, just whether I
  can use them or not, thank you :-)

Thanks!

-Tyler