[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:55:36 -0600

I'm curious. Why is there such a push for Haiku on ADB/old world macs?  The
Old world rom is buggy and most upgrades to old world machines are hacks
(G3 processor in the L3 cache card slot, etc) limiting their Haiku
performance/functionality. (Requiring a boot to MacOS 9 before booting
Haiku, etc)

Instead of working around the dated/buggy old world rom, maybe it would be
best to focus new world open firmware machines? (imac+ in age)

I admit, i used to love having my Performa 6400, but now it is securely
stashed in a closet.

Just a thought. Old imac's are cheap and plentiful on ebay and would be
a-lot less hackish/buggy :P

--Alex

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:26:03 +0000, Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Alan Burkes wrote:
>>> ADB would be handy, does the system support ADB? Be Inc had ADB in the
>>> Kernel for some reason. Without ADB you'd need working USB up front.
>>>

>> ADB is so rediculously simple to implement. At least, so says
>> Wikipedia. It's pretty much just a few wires for a simple
>> (unidirectional?) serial link, and for reasons which I'll leave in my
>> head right now (I am also feeling sick...), it should be in the
>> kernel. I think. Doesn't our Haiku kernel have PS/2 drivers built in?
>>

> The Be Inc implementation was statically linked to kernel.mac and caused
> endless problems with multi buttoned ADB mice. Be probably did this
> because they implemented the Mac port rapidly and never got round to
> splitting the driver code out in to a real loadable driver before they
> got pushed on to Intel development. I remember Nathan Whitehorne (sp?)
> cursing this fact when trying to implement a different 2 buttoned mouse
> protocol to the one Be had used. The kernel ADB driver code bypassed the
> input server device drivers completely, so by the time it got to input
> server filters (where is might otherwise be caught as unhandled), the
> second mouse click was lost.

believed to be clean.