[haiku] Re: Backup strategy for Haiku productive systems

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:04:40 +0200

"beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> since I wanted to start using my Haiku install for day-to-day stuff,
> I'd like to
> know what your backup
> strategy is, having Haiku's instabilities and potential filesystem
> bugs in mind.
> Would it be the best to zip the personal data and copy it to another
> Haiku
> partition? Or better copy it to a BeOS-generated BFS partition? To a
> FAT
> partition? Or should I FTP it to my desktop machine to not let Haiku's
> BFS write
> onto the backup partition directly? How often do you make backups of
> your Haiku
> data?

I use Haiku full time since before the last alpha release, and I never
had any data loss so far - but I don't update Haiku that frequently;
only if something worthwhile happened, and I consider it somewhat stable
(ie. it's always a good idea to wait with an update after kernel
changes).

Other than that, I backup to external HDs from time to time (too seldom
to have a good feeling about it, though).

> (Or am I overcautious? :-) )

It's your precious data, you hardly can be overcautious :-)

Bye,
   Axel.