[openbeos] Re: Afternoon, all

  • From: Peter Mogensen <apm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:54:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Michael Phipps wrote:
> I have a thought that I would like to float. How many of us would be
> willing to support Palm, ASSUMING that they wanted to continue BeOS
> support, by forgoing our dreams of a fresh, new, completely open source
> BeOS, instead, maybe, working on some piece of BeOS that was open sourced
> like OT/OD?

This would  IMHO be the best solution... depending of how large the
piece is, how it's licensed and how much development and support will be
put into the still closed part of the system.
I don't think a closed kernel without any development will be any good.
I'm also not sure it pays to try to re-implement every non-open-source
part of BeOS with the goal of being binary compatible. (right now that's
everything but OT).
I'll guess that when we're done all the nice features we like in BeOS
will be found in every other major OS anyway. We need to keep BeOS
innovative. The best way to do that is to work from the existing
innovative code. - if possible.
If not possible... I really don't know what I'd prefer. But I hesitate
to try to rewrite the existing BeOS. I afraid we'll spend too much time
just making a compatible opensource version and not have resources to
move the OS forward, keeping up with the rest of the world.

regards,
Peter