[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: Re

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:12:10 -0800

Hi Michael,

At this stage, we are mainly targeting developers, not end users, so your target would the technically-able geek.

I actually created a very simple flyer for SCaLE, which I think could be used as a starting point. I will try to get the file from Bruno (BGA) and send it to you.

As for looks of it, I would like it to be simple and clean. I guess using some of the artwork from the website may be a good idea for consistency.

Cheers,

Koki

Michael Bartholomew wrote:
Thanks for your offer. It would be nice if you could layout the flyer
for us, so that it looks professional.

No problem. Although I am capable of "making things pretty" (quote
from my old boss), my experience was working with the marketing
department and advertising firm(s) to create a final product that felt
cohesive with the already established theme or direction that was
determined for the product.

I have heard people state that Haiku's direction is purely for desktop
use, but I feel that is somewhat vague. Are we aiming at the everyday
users, those who simply browse the web and answer e-mails? Seeing how
BeOS had its roots in the media sector; are we catering to them as
well, or just those that may be targeted by the iMovie and iDVD
product lines?

Before I can go forward with the design, I need to know:

- Haiku's target market
- What features will we tout as innovative and unique
- Verbiage used (or at least a starting point)

From personal experience, I know that only the geeks care about the
buzzwords that were thrown around to describe BeOS. My mom didn't
understand or even care about those words. The only thing that
mattered to her was that it was easy, stable, and she never had to
call me for tech support (definite plus for me).

I feel that we will need to create different designs for each crowd.
Geek conferences will get the flyers with an aim at buzzwords and
technical specifications, while the everyday user will be shown
Haiku's simplicity, elegance and ease-of-use.

Let me know what you think.

Mike