[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: Re

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:58:35 +0100

Hi,

On 2/18/07, Michael Bartholomew <mouth.haiku@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have heard people state that Haiku's direction is purely for desktop
use, but I feel that is somewhat vague. Are we aiming at the everyday
users, those who simply browse the web and answer e-mails? Seeing how
BeOS had its roots in the media sector; are we catering to them as
well, or just those that may be targeted by the iMovie and iDVD
product lines?

Haiku will of course be powerful enough for complex work. This has
*much* more to do with the application (iMovie vs FinalCut) than with
the OS, anyway. With "desktop" we just meant that we don't focus on
the needs of "servers" or
"just-for-the-sake-of-it-all-day-long-hackers" (over-exaggerated:
people who love to customize every pixel in their OS without ever
getting real work done). We focus on people who want to do serious
work with their computers (without forgetting that being stylish is
important, too) and we want to make computers attractive for people
with very simple needs/knowledge.

- What features will we tout as innovative and unique

We want to have an "it just works" philosophy. I'd say that our
primary "features" will be ease of use (maybe not yet...), simplicity,
and responsiveness. I can't name any specific features, though. R2 and
R3 will be much more interesting.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald