[haiku-web] Re: Performance analysis of vmweb (Drupal)

  • From: Citi Boy <citi324@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 10:29:36 -0700

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oliver Tappe wrote:
>> I was pretty surprised to see the dynamic content be so *much* slower than
>> static pages, to be honest. Looking for possible improvements, I noticed
>> that we aren't using a PHP opcode cache yet, so I installed one
>> (eaggregator). That helped a bit, anonymous dynamic content could now be
>> served at approx. 180 req/s and live dynamic content at 10 req/s. Still far
>> from perfect, I'm afraid ...
>
> Is Haiku using Boost? It basically uses some URLRewrite magic so that
> apache serves static pages for anonymous content without needing to
> invoke php at all. Boost will keep the cached page up to date when the
> content is changed, and also on a cron-job. That combined with
> fcgi-based php means the memory usage is a lot lower too as there don't
> need to be as many PHP processes running.

I have used Boost in several live websites, and it works well. You can
also try PressFlow, an API-compatible Drupal remix with performance
and scalability enhancements (which is probable what Ubuntu uses):

https://launchpad.net/pressflow

This includes the Varnish cache (http://www.varnish-cache.org), which
apparently will also be used in the upcoming Drupal 7.

HTH,

Citi aka Koki aka Jorge aka Sneakito