[haiku-web] Re: Performance analysis of vmweb (Drupal)

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:30:48 +0000

Oliver Tappe wrote:
> I was pretty surprised to see the dynamic content be so *much* slower than
> static pages, to be honest. Looking for possible improvements, I noticed
> that we aren't using a PHP opcode cache yet, so I installed one
> (eaggregator). That helped a bit, anonymous dynamic content could now be
> served at approx. 180 req/s and live dynamic content at 10 req/s. Still far
> from perfect, I'm afraid ...

Is Haiku using Boost? It basically uses some URLRewrite magic so that
apache serves static pages for anonymous content without needing to
invoke php at all. Boost will keep the cached page up to date when the
content is changed, and also on a cron-job. That combined with
fcgi-based php means the memory usage is a lot lower too as there don't
need to be as many PHP processes running.

The one problem I noticed on my site was that the forum index page
didn't cache well, as the "last post" time was always "a few seconds
ago", which was when Boost updated the cached page. I just disabled
Boost caching for that page and all seems well. It would need some
testing before enabling to see what issues there might be on
haiku-os.org but probably worth a go.

Simon