[haiku-web] Moderation in the forums

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Web Haiku ML" <haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:29:32 +0100

Hello there!

Anyone read the comments to the SOPA/PIPA story [1] on the website?

Let's not get into how the complaining user confuses governmental
censorship with moderation in a private forum...

While I think that moderation may sometimes be necessary, the removal
of a post must be a last resort. Seeing the "argumentation" and tone of
voice in the above thread, I can imagine how polite the very
complicated off-topic religion was probably handled in the bemoaned
moderated thread.

My question is, can we moderate more visibly if we really have to?
I'd like to see information on who moderated a posting, what was the
reason and - if there is such a thing - a link to an off-topic-forum
somewhere else on the net, plus maybe a link to this mailinglist when
people feel they are treated badly and want a second opinion.

Does our forum software allow for this kind moderation?
If not, I'd suggest to answer to a moderated comment with the above
info before removing the offending posting.

While I won't be drawn into a discussion in the mentioned thread [1] -
I don't waste my time with unpleasant people - I do think we should
improve our moderation. I wasn't even aware threads were moderated for
other reasons than spam. In that way I'm glad the topic came up...

Regards,
Humdinger

[1] http://www.haiku-os.org/news/2012-01-18_sopa_pipa_information#comments

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette