[haiku-web] Re: Drupal-Trac Single Sign-On...

  • From: Gavin James <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:31:43 +0000

Hi Niels,

On 21 Mar 2008, at 1:45 PM, Niels Reedijk wrote:

Another update:

2008/3/21, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>:
Short update:

2008/3/21, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>:

- Use an XMLRPC authentication mechanism. The Trac server will perform a request whenever a login is taking place, and retrieves the details
of the user that way.

I don't know if Unixware will allow 1. I should be able to write a
plugin for Trac for 2, and a quick google search shows that drupal
should already provide an XML plugin.

I just wrote a plugin for Trac, and I think that part is done. I just
need to hack drupal a little bit (currently only users with blog
permissions can log in).

The plugin for Drupal also works. Trac is now always able to log in every user.

Two more todos:
- Make the xmlrpc url configurable
- Keep the email field up to date (now, if a user changes his/her
email, it will be updated only when he/she logs in again in Trac).

Great work! Remember this will need to be done over https. I wouldn't have thought that would pose a problem, but probably worth testing. It might also be an idea to check that the client's IP address matches the IP address of the server Trac is hosted on.

What is the projected date that the website will move to unixheads?

To accomplish the move we need to...

1) Move the @haiku-os.org email accounts over to something like Google Apps for your domain
2) Move the website
3) Update the DNS settings

Tyler, who has control over the haiku-os.org domain is away until the end of March.

We have a couple of options... we can either move the current site as is, in which case we can get started almost immediately. Or, we could develop the Drupal 5 version of the site on the server and switch everything over once that's ready. The main issue with the latter option is how much work is there to get the Drupal 5 version ready, and do we want to wait that long. (Use it or lose it?) I've moved the site once before so I've got a fair idea of the issues we're likely to come up against. If we set aside an evening to get it all done we should be fine.

BTW: We don't have SSH access to the unixheads.org server. We CAN have that setup, but it will only be enabled for access from one static IP address.

- Gavin