[haiku-web] Drupal-Trac Single Sign-On...

  • From: Gavin James <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:57:21 +0000

Hi guys,

We've been graciously offered free hosting for our main website by unixheads.org. They seem to know their stuff and feel more than comfortable with meeting our requirements (even during a Slashdotting) so we're going to be looking to take them up on their offer.

There is however a small issue we're going to need to workaround before that can happen and that's Trac's integration with Drupal's login system. As the two applications will be running on different servers across the internet, we're not going to be able to have Trac connect to Drupal's MySQL database to perform authentication as is the case now.

I'm looking for suggestions as to alternatives. When the integration broke a number of weeks ago we considered dropping it altogether. This was unpopular with the few people who replied, so I think we should consider that route our last possible option.

Niels mentioned OpenID a while back, and there are modules available for both Drupal and Trac that allow OpenID as an authentication provider. But for this to be useful we would also need to setup our own OpenID identity provider to cater for those who don't yet have an OpenID. I don't know how much work this would be, but my gut instinct is far more than it's worth, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

- Gavin