[haiku-inc] Re: Proposal: Alexander von Gluck IV election to the BOD (attempt 1)

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Public Haiku-inc List <haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:13:28 -0700

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Alexander von Gluck IV
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Current board members:

Bruno G. Albuquerque (BGA)
Axel Dörfler (axeld)
Ryan Leavengood (leavengood)
Matthew Madia (mmadia)
Urias McCullough (umccullough)

This means the passing vote is 3 board members.

As it has been quite some time since i've seen BGA, i'd like to take
his place to avoid a < 50% deadlock due to lack of resources. He of
course can chime into this thread or re-join the board via a vote if
his free time improves at a later date.

In-line with the above, I purpose the following:

* bga is removed from the BOD due to lack of activity.
* Alexander von Gluck IV (myself) is voted in as a board member.
* Urias (at his discretion + approval) assumes the VP role formally
filled by bga.

Actually - it's probably not well known, but Matt has essentially
stepped down from his board duties - so I would perhaps simply change
the vote to bring Alexander on as Matt's replacement at this point.

As for Bruno's inactivity, that is also an issue, and we should
probably begin searching for a replacement for him as well. I have
asked a few people here and there if they're interested, a couple have
been.

My own activity varies throughout the year - spring and summer are the
worst for me. I also admit that my motivation has decreased over the
recent years, and it becomes difficult to remain involved at a level
that I need to. Part of it is me (changing interests), part of that is
the project and corporation dysfunction (lack of releases and
planning, lack of people getting things done). The constant bashing
and trolling lately hasn't helped my motivation.

For anyone who is confused about the lack of by-laws - that is because
the articles of incorporation set Haiku, Inc. to use a
self-perpetuating board with no voting membership - this means the
current board elects the future board. It also does not stipulate when
and how often this is to occur, so currently it doesn't. That's in, no
other rules per-se.

I agree with everyone else in this thread that a serious set of
by-laws should be setup - and I strongly believe we should aim to
include the greater project contributors in the process of board
member elections in the future. I'm not sure how I would define
"membership", per-se, but I personally think it should begin with all
current "committers", and perhaps use the KDE method of having the
existing members sponsoring/nominating and then voting in new members
(not to be confused with the board election which would occur
separately by the members). Defining some process to trim inactive
members should also be thought about - perhaps by designating a
certain number of elections that they miss, etc. I'm sure there are
models for this out there that we can reference and copy.

What I definitely would not like to see is a "pay for play" membership
- where any donor becomes a member with voting rights. This is
essentially the path where the person with the most money gets to make
the rules (by essentially buying votes).

I really don't want to get too deep in the details in this thread, but
it's definitely something I've been thinking about in recent years as
the stagnation grows.

- Urias