[haiku-inc] Re: Proposal: Alexander von Gluck IV election to the BOD (attempt 1)

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:49:47 -0500

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Joe Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:00 PM, Ryan Leavengood
<leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 9:08 PM, Alexander von Gluck IV
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In-line with the above, I purpose the following:

* bga is removed from the BOD due to lack of activity.
* Alexander von Gluck IV (myself) is voted in as a board
member.
* Urias (at his discretion + approval) assumes the VP role
formally
filled by bga.

I think this is a good idea and give my vote in favor: aye.

I'm not on the board, but surely there has to be a better way of
doing this, such as having a formal election annually (or some other
set period) or via bylaws that remove former board members given a
certain amount of inactivity.

Anyway, just my slight insight from having served on several BoDs
over the years.

Don't take this as meaning I disagree with what was proposed, but
just some improvements for the future.

On , Germain Labonté wrote:

I concur with Joe.

I have been on many BoDs over the years with flows of actions ranging
from the ad hoc to the formal. Although one can self-nominate to the
BoD (if allowed by the Constitution and By-Laws), it is the BoD which
first seeks nominations to fill-in existing or future vacancies.

I actually concur as well :-) I think a BoD vote every two years per
member and raising the number of members would be a positive thing.
(maybe senior titled board members voted on every four years or if one
resigns?)

I should disclose i'm a member of Xorg and vote on the Xorg BOD.
http://www.x.org/wiki/Membership/

Votes are generally pretty boring with someone occasionally getting
replaced.

The current by-laws are not on the Inc site anywhere nor included in
the paperwork for the Inc.

As far as removal of a D, it is a matter which is normally initiated
and discussed privately within the BoD.

I think it has been discussed somewhat. The largest issue is the lack
of a formal meeting with enough members to pass anything.

With respect to minimum level of activity that a D needs to exert to
remain on the BoD, it is often described in the Constitution and
By-Laws and all the Ds should be aware of it. In most cases, the Ds
are highly responsible persons who would offer their resignation if
they realize that they can no longer full-fill such minimum level of
activity. If there is currently no clause in the Constitution and
By-Laws addressing a minimum level of activity that a D needs to have,
then this needs to be addressed.

I agree. Baby steps.

I also want to mention that by proposing to move BGA to an inactive
status I am in no way doubting or diminishing all the hard work he
has done for the project. We all have priorities. As someone with
an 11-month-old at home I can commiserate :-)

-- Alex