[haiku-doc] Re: Saying 'Hi' and API docs

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 17:29:19 -0500

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Michael Kanis <mks+haiku@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wow, thanks for the very comprehensive intro!
>
> Just wanted to say, I am on it, but I am working pretty slow. I am still
> reading up on the API. So don't expect results anytime soon. ;-)

That's probably a good idea. If you want a good overview of the the API at
a high level you could read the chapter in "Programming the Be Operating
System". You can find a link to it on http://haiku-os.org/documents. It's a
bit old and much of it is out of date but it is still a pretty good read
and the book is more approachable than reading the bare classes from API
docs.

Any contribution you can make is valuable. The Haiku Book needs a lot of
work before it is complete, and most of it is grunt work documenting what
each methods does, what it's parameter are, and what it returns. I've done
quite a bit of that already and there is still a lot more to do.
Documenting that stuff will definitely teach you the API.

John Scipione