[haiku-doc] Saying 'Hi' and API docs

  • From: Michael Kanis <mks+haiku@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 20:18:34 +0200

Hi *,

I just subscribed to this list.

If I wanted to help writing API documentation (the "Haiku Book") for Haiku, how would I get started?

About me: I am 27, Computer Science student in Munich. I was a software developer prior to my time at the university for 3 years (after a professional education). However, everything I've ever developed is written in Java - I like to not have to care about memory management as much. I'd say I am an advanced Java developer. I can read C and C++ pretty good, but not write it. I am fairly confident with design patterns and other software design techniques. My English is average.

I am following the development of Haiku since a few years now and once upon in a time I even sent in a small patch to Cody Cam. TBH I lost the interest pretty much because I felt it was not ready then. However I tested Haiku a few days ago again and was very much impressed by the overall progress. It even boots and runs rather well on all 3 computers, I tested. Nowadays I think writing docs might be a good start for me to get into the API (and perhaps Haiku's source itself) and to learn a bit more C++ on the way. So how do you guys do that? I've seen that you use Doxygen, but that's all I know. :)

Regards,
Mike