[haiku-development] Re: replacing kernel (was Re: replacing runtime_loader)

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 08:51:51 +0200

Am 04/05/2016 um 03:24 schrieb Dániel Kasza:

I am working on adding mlock() and munlock() calls, and having to build
haiku.hpkg every time is a huge waste of time and the package does not
work reliably either:
[...]

I'm all with Adrien; I always test kernel level changes in a VM. Usually from Linux, as both the compile times, and the VM runs faster. The turnaround times aren't perfect, but half a minute sounds a lot more acceptable than an hour :-)
If you prefer a Haiku only setup (using qemu), the turnaround times should still be around a minute or less, depending on your hardware.

You can easily update only the kernel in an image like this:
$ jam @release-raw update kernel

You can use your UserBuildConfig (build/jam/) to put additional software on the image. Or, if you only update the kernel anyway, you can also copy the files to the image once, and reuse them.

Bye,
   Axel.