[haiku-development] Re: merge branch

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:03:30 -0400

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> You can "svn switch" individual directories. No need for the symlink +
> Jamfile action.

Good point.

> Unfortunately it can easily get annoying to branch individual directories,
> even when one works only on a single component. E.g. in case of the app
> server, due to the split headers-source layout of our repository, you'll
> likely already start with two directories (src/servers/app and
> headers/private/app). If it turns out that you'll also need to change
> details client-side, you'll probably have to add src/kits/{app,interface}
> and header/private/interface, maybe even headers/os/{app,interface}.
> Changes to private shared classes could easily drag a whole bunch of other
> directories into the mix.

Darn you and your logic! Hehehe, indeed one can never be sure what
will need to be changed when working on certain components of Haiku
which can touch many areas.

> So my recommendation is to rather branch the whole trunk. The downside is
> that all trunk changes will have to be merged into the branch from time to
> time, or you'll have to do a monster merge eventually (with all the
> cumulated conflicts). Other than that it will be significantly simpler than
> the piece-meal handling of individually branched directories, though.

Maybe so. In general it seems we just need a better way of handling
big features which require branches. Surely other projects have dealt
with this problem and solved it in a nice way? Such as with some sort
of higher level tool on top of SVN which could help automate the
periodic merging from trunk. I do know that the rebasing feature of
Git (replaying branch commits after merging commits from the master
branch) is very useful for branches, but I don't think that is
possible with SVN.

--
Regards,
Ryan