[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-web] Re: Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 23:53:29 +0000

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 21:22, Axel Dörfler<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyway, what exactly is missing, what should be done on the website? We
> should make a detailed list of this, make a schedule, and try to find
> someone doing each job.

There's two aspects to consider... the current Drupal 5 installation
and the off-site Drupal 6 upgrade.  As I'm not actively contributing
to the D6 upgrade, ill speak only about the D5 current site.

Documentation needs to be better prepped.

There are numerous threads on haiku-web that could be referenced,
here's one.:
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-web/ReviewingUpdatingCombining-howto-guides-for-buildinginstalling-Haiku

The current goal, as i understand it is to consolidate the information
of various guides -- both local to www.haiku-os.org and else where
into a more concise set of pages.

The traditional approach is a complete guide on an OS-centric basis.

A new approach was discussed at great length by numerous people on
haiku-web on the above thread link and I have almost singlehandedly
implemented it at http://www.haiku-os.org/node/2500

The /node/2500 documentation has a page for each step in the overall
process, with footnotes for OS-specific needs.  This structure greatly
reduces the duplication of common steps,  eg building jam, downloading
source, and thus makes it easier to keep the pages updated with new
information.  Obviously, it isn't finished. I won't be working on it
this week, but i'll answer any questions if they arise.

Removing these documents from svn *may* be done, as they aren't part
of the UserGuide.
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/haiku/haiku/trunk/docs/userguide/en/installation/

Here's some random bits:
At one point, it was discussed and seemingly agreed upon to allow
/node/2500 to be editable by many more people than just 'admins' and
'editors'.

There was some recent and brief discussion about creating a new
repository to contain documentation, like a Builders Book, a
Developers Book, etc.:
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-web/a-new-editor-for-wwwhaikuosorg,25

--mmadia