[haiku-development] Re: Wish List/GSoC Ideas

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:46:03 +0100

Am 23.01.2011 04:17, schrieb Clemens Zeidler:
Am 23.01.2011, 00:53 Uhr, schrieb Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

) Windows/SMB Shares
I know this one has been attempted before. I have looked into some of
the other file systems (in the kernel add-ons), and it seems as though
Haiku's design makes it pretty easy to interface with the OS.
If I were to do this project, I'd concentrate on making a read-only
file system and a mount tool first, then add write capability. If there
were still time, I would make Tracker aware of available shares on the
network, so users wouldn't have to mount from the command line. If
there were still time after that, I'd look into adding support for
hosting shares from Haiku.

whats about the fuse smb implementation? is it easy to port? For me fuse
+ a proper tracker integration to easily mount file systems sounds like
the easiest solution. I think there are a lot of fs for fuse like ftp,
webdave, ssh...

I just spoke to Ingo on the subject, since I was looking into porting the exfat for FUSE code (it compiles easily, but does not work, I didn't have time to look into it further). The UserlandFS needs more work in order to integrate at the level that you can just plug in an exfat formatted stick and have it automount. Maybe SMB over UserlandFS would be easier to integrate "seamlessly", since you would need special mounting support anyway.

Best regards,
-Stephan