[haiku-development] Re: Wish List/GSoC Ideas

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) Windows/SMB Shares
>
> I know this one has been attempted before. I have looked into some of
> the other file systems (in the kernel add-ons), and it seems as though
> Haiku's design makes it pretty easy to interface with the OS.

This would certainly be useful and there really isn't any good reason
why it was not done before in the GSoC, except that maybe we picked a
bad student. I'm am now of the opinion that if a project was not
successfully completed in the GSoC before it should then graduate to
being done by a more experienced Haiku developer.

> 2) Planner/Organizer

The PIM project at Berlios looks pretty cool.

> Then I'd create an alarm server, which would monitor for upcoming
> alarms. (This server would be available for other programs to use as
> well). In the beginning, I would probably only support one kind of
> alarm, a notification (which would be handled by passing it off to the
> notification server), but it could be extended later to support playing
> media files, launching programs, etc.

I have wanted a "scheduled task server" for a while now too, and the
above is just one of many possible uses. I'd have to look at the PIM
code more, but I imagine the task scheduling code from an organizer
could also be used for setting up scheduled tasks. I mean they are
really the same thing I guess ("every day at 3PM do a backup" or "I
have a meeting at Bob's on the 3rd Tuesday of every month".)

> 3) Session/Tab functionality for WebPositive
>
> I'd love to be able to save and load sessions, to reorder tabs, to
> bookmark sessions, to have a home session instead of a home page, etc.

I will probably add all these before the end of February (maybe
earlier) as I would like them too.

> 4) Word Processor
>
> I know that there's an agreement of some kind with Gobe/Blue Lotus, but
> that's in the future. None of the word processors I've found available
> for download will actually run on Haiku. (With the Gobe Productive 2.0
> trial, I can at least read .doc files on Haiku.)

If someone could find the time or motivation to work on Gobe (under
NDA) that might help but maybe long term we just need a brand new
written from scratch and designed for Haiku word processor. Looking at
the complexity of modern web browsers it does make me wonder if it
would be possible to leverage WebKit and its layout engine in a word
processor (but without doing HTML behind the scenes.)

> 5) Wireless
>
> I know this one is already working to a large extent, but my cable
> modem came factory preset to use WPA encryption, so wireless is on the
> list of things I miss.

You aren't alone in that, I think wireless is definitely one of the
top priorities for R1.

> 6) Battery/Power Options
>
> My battery drains a lot faster on Haiku. WinXP has various settings for
> power usage. While I could write a preflet, I don't know how to
> implement the power-saving features, and I suspect many of them would
> require a driver for each battery type (although there is some
> standardization in battery features).

I have an ultra portable laptop with a supposed 8 hour battery life
(under ideal conditions in Windows) and I would love to see Haiku
being even better on battery life. Of course Haiku won't even boot on
that machine yet (probably due to lack of IRQ routing) so this
probably isn't the highest priority.

> 7) Hibernate/Standby Options
>
> It would be nice to be able to leave what I'm working on open instead
> of completely shutting down Haiku every time I have to close the lod on
> my laptop.

I would like this very much too, even on desktop machines.

> 8) Windows Emulation

I don't know, most of the programs I care about are already
multi-platform and probably would be easier to port than getting Wine
working in Haiku. I wouldn't even want to imagine what all is needed
to get something like Photoshop going in Wine.

Ryan