[haiku-development] Re: Wish List/GSoC Ideas

  • From: "Sean Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 02:57:49 +0000

> Well, it will be better if we could avoid forcing users to buy an USB
> serial adapter
> because his native serial port is not supported anymore.
>
> Otherwise, I agree, USB CDC has replaced legacy serial connection.
> Any cell phone that could be used as a modem use it, legacy serial
> adapter too, and
> pratically all hardware programming/debugging board switched to USB.
>
> What matter more now is feature driver over USB, which we're far from
> being as complete as one would expect.
> I guess finishing my lisbusb port could help here, though.
>

> Bye,
>   Philippe.

   I really miss my serial port. It worked everytime I called upon it.
No driver hassles

   Sadly, the reality is that most PC's made since around 2004 or so
don't have
   a serial port " specifically laptops" and I can't find you a modern
motherboard
   with a serial port "with the exception of some industrial
solutions". Just like LPT
  its a dead standard. You guys have enough work to do without anyone
impossing
  some really narrow backwards compatability.code what makes you happy
however.

   However buying a $10 adapter isn't a big deal and most people with
serial port needs
   Have come to expect this.

  BTW is this a port of the FTDI capable driver ?

   Just curious

    Sean