[haiku-development] Why not C bindings?

  • From: "Ben Dibell" <thinkingrodent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 09:07:50 -0700

I personally am quite fond of Haiku, but there's one thing that really
bothers me and I can't shake it. There are often no good C bindings in
many places. GUI libraries in C are often a bit clumsy, but only mildly
so, and it'd be doable without moving mountains me thinks.

I personally don't like C++. I don't like a language that's too big for me
to master, and it feels a bit cobbled together as a language, and I'm not
too fond of OO in general either, and I'm not alone.
I imagine it'd be easier to find development support if you had proper C
bindings (specifically for GUI and related) especially for 3rd party
applications. It's arguably much easier to find competent C developers
than competent C++ developers.

Porting something like GTK for example would open up a lot of
possibilities, but it's not enough. I'd really like to see first-class C
bindings. Who cares if they're not quite so pretty, if they work, that'd
be good enough.
I might even fiddle with Haiku if you had good C bindings, for how
hilariously little that's worth.

Is there any way I can convince someone to begin work on such a thing, or
consider it for the future? You can't deny it'd make it a bit easier to
get developers for other applications.