[haiku-development] Re: WebKit and WebPositive features and tasks...move to Pivotal Tracker?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:46:29 -0400

On 10/29/11, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not too fond of the idea. I think a tool like the pivotal tracker is
> nice if there is some kind of project manager developer relationship (so
> like GSoC, or even GCI), but it's pretty much useless outside of that scope.
> I think it's already unfortunate that our WebPositive sources are separated
> from our main trac, with a new tool it only gets worse IMO.

I think Pivotal Tracker has nothing to do with where the source code
is located, and it is a tool I will find useful for WebPositive
development. If others find it useful, great. My working on it and
setting up some tasks there shouldn't hurt anyone.

> What we really should aim for is having a WebKit-development package like
> ICU-devel, and put the WebPositive sources into our main repository. This
> way, everyone can easily work on the browser at least, without going through
> the hassle to build WebKit for yourself.

This is something I've been talking about for a long time too. I never
wanted the separate WebKit repo we have, and exactly what I predicted
has happened: us getting really out-of-date. For everyone's info we
are over 41500 changesets behind.

I started the tedious 3-way merge process back in June but got burned
out and then real life got in the way. Maybe Fredrik can get further,
and I'll help however I can.

But once that is done and we get all our changes merged upstream,
developing our WebKit port and WebPositive as a browser will become
separate projects, as I've talked about lately.

But it might take a little while to get there.

Either way, that is just a task to be done, which could be documented
and organized at Pivotal Tracker, and for the likely small team of
people who can and will work on WebKit and WebPositive, I think it
will be a helpful tool.

--
Regards,
Ryan