[haiku-development] Re: VLC to drop BeOS port

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 06:44:01 +0000

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As the last existing BeOS "maintainer" for VLC - it is significantly
>> beyond my capabilities to re-port (as this is what is required,
>> effectively, at this stage) VLC 0.9.x to BeOS.
>>
>> It needs too many features GCC2 does not support. The threading model
>> has changed, breaking the BeOS threading support. The network core has
>> changed, breaking net_server support. The playlist backend has
>> changed, breaking parts of the BeOS GUI.
>>
>> The primary problem here - GCC2 - means that it is also basically
>> unportable to Haiku R1-to-be unless the GCC4 compat libraries are
>> going to be shipped with the core system...
>>
>> As goes the recent security fixes for VLC, the 0.8.6* series - these
>> should be easily compilable with the tools/patches I have at
>> www.gaelstar.com/beos for 0.8.6c. I will eventually do this myself,
>> but I don't possess a stable, fast BeOS machine anymore. I/O is
>> tortuously slow on Zeta for me and my only other working BeOS system
>> is a 1Ghz laptop with VESA graphics; and I haven't had the day or so
>> free to get Haiku going as a build platform yet.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Cian
>>
>> --
>
> Thanks for the info Cian.  I've noted this on the HaikuPorts page:
> http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/media-video/vlc/0.8.6i
> I might give it a try soon, to at least bring it up to 0.8.6i
> -scottmc

Well I just gave it a couple hour tryout and after putting in the many
many dependencies, it errored out.  The port log entry has been
updated in case anyone has ideas on what to try to do to get past this
error.
I filled in the dependencies with binaries from haikuports and tiltos,
along with the ffmpeg binary from www.gaelstar.com/beos as I wasn't
able to get ffmpeg to build cleanly yet either.
-scottmc