[haiku-development] Re: VLC to drop BeOS port

  • From: "Donn Cave" <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:40:51 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
| But shipping with the GCC4 libs and tool chain included is definitely
| something I would welcome very much. It is also very easy to do for us.
| Except for providing the Haiku native GCC 4 tool chain, it is virtually
| no additional work.

And it's effectively the same for developers, right?  I mean, as long as
both environments are supported, it doesn't matter very much how the system
was built, to someone who isn't writing drivers or other internal stuff?

I don't have it on my hard drive, but I gather gcc4 Haiku libs are here
already, in principle anyone can be developing to them and in fact there's
an assumption that they will be doing that for the collection of modern
applications that can't be built any other way.  So the only question is
the support level, and who's going to provide that support - the Haiku
organization officially, or some kind of bootleg situation.  Official
support has some clear advantages, I would think.

        Donn