[haiku-development] Re: Task list for alpha 1

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 07:37:30 -0700

Hi Niels,

Niels Reedijk wrote:
> Sorry, acute illness left me missing in action past weekend.

Ouch! Hope you get well soon. :)

> 2009/9/6 Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Niels Reedijk wrote:
>>
>>> b) Write release notes (all known issues)
>>>

>> Is anyone working on the release notes?
>>

>>> c) Write press release
>>>

>> Niels, are you really going to work on this? Being my area of expertise,
>> I would be glad to take over if you are time-constrained.
>>

> I have done some reading on other release notes and I took some notes,
> but did not get to the actual writing. I think I am feeling too fuzzy
> to finish this now, so I would be glad if you would give it a go.

Just to be clear, my offer was for the press release, and I will work on
that between today and tomorrow.

However, someone else will have to put together the release notes. Or
are we not going to have release notes for Alpha 1?

> Replying to Ryan somewhere in this thread: I would rather not throw
> the draft press release into the world, but rather share it privately
> between a few people who have interest in reading it, in order to
> avoid that any 'news' outlet picks it up. I was planning on sharing a
> google doc, but feel free to pick another format.

Google Docs is a good idea; I will go with that.

>> I really don't want to have to work on the website upgrade at the
>> eleventh hour without any planning (which is the status quo). So unless
>> anybody opposed, I would like to take over this task right away.
>>
>> To make the upgrade smooth, I propose a 7 day transition period that
>> starts with making the live site read-only and that ends on 9/14 when
>> the upgraded site goes live. This is what would happen in that
>> transition period:
>>
>> 1) Live site (now on Drupal 5) is made read-only, with a notice to that
>> effect being displayed on all pages.
>>

> How will we do this though? Is there an actual way to make it
> read-only? Or do we tweak permissions so that people can't post
> comments and forum posts anymore?

That or...

http://drupal.org/project/role_login

>> I am really sorry that I am sending this web-related stuff here, but the
>> days go by and I am stuck here because I am not getting any resonance
>> from the haiku-web list or the people that signed up for the task.
>>
>> If this is agreeable, I would like to start from tomorrow (Monday Sept. 7).
>>

> I think it can be started later, however, if there is no objection
> then we might as wel get to it.

I just don't want to take my chances. :)

In the end, I will need someone to upload the upgraded (Drupal 6) DB to
Webfaction. Hopefully you can give me a hand with that.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki