[haiku-development] Re: Right-to-Left text and BiDi

  • From: "X512" <danger_mail@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:08:25 +0400

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:26:17 +0200, zalit@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to know from Haiku developers if the the native GUI
> toolkit
> in Haiku supports:
>
> 1) Right-to-Left languages
>
> 2) Bidirectional text (that is, Left-to-Right and Right-to-Left
> strings
> on the *same* line)
>
> Thanks
>
> Zaffer
Currently Haiku support only left-to-right, top-to-bottom text layout
only, but there are some APIs for right-to-left support. Qt support all
this features [1].

> P.S. In case these features are not supported, when can we hope to
> see
> them implemented in Haiku?
I don't think that right-to-left text layout support is priority for
now. You can try to implement it yourself and submit patches. Also it
will be nice to support vertical text layout for chinese and japanese
languages :)

[1] http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6950