[haiku-development] Re: Right-to-Left text and BiDi

  • From: zalit@xxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:35:35 +0200

On 2012-07-29 19:27, X512 wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:08:54 +0200, zalit@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hhm. The real test would be to copy and paste some Arabic text in the
middle of a line which already contains English text, and see how it
comes out. If you do that (I can't because I don't have Haiku
installed), please post a screenshot showing that. It would be very
useful. Thanks
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/6950/arabic.png

PS: Is selection OK? I saw the same on Windows.

The Arabic text in sorrounded by the English text is ok.
The selection is only partial, as you can see from the fact that only part of the Arabic text is highlighted. But I guess that it simply depends on the fact that you have not fully selected it with your cursor. Only I can see that the text selection in Arabic does not follow the same direction of the keyboard arrow keys, but this is not much of a problem, and does not impair functionality (anyway, this is the way it is found in most implementation of Arabic rendering).

So, in conclusion, I would say that bidirectionality support, via Qt, is fine!!
Good news indeed. Thanks for the cooperation.