[haiku-development] Re: Removing /boot/common

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 23:02:28 -0700

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Jim Saxton <black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the software is compiled from another language ... say YAB,
> find_directory() is not available, only the finddir command line tool,
> and that does not take into account any depreciated directory
> constants. An old constant is not re-directed to the proper directory,
> it returns  an error. I suggest this be changed so that compiled apps
> from any language can find the proper directory as long as they can
> call a command line tool and get the output. This will even help
> installation scripts work.

It has zero to do with the language, and everything to do with how
well that language is integrated into Haiku. YAB even promises to
provide bindings to the Be API, and yet it fails to provide something
as important as find_directory()...

Really, you can't keep blaming Haiku for poorly designed/written
software - just like Windows software, the shitty stuff will break
with every new windows version, while the properly build software will
continue to work. If the proper APIs aren't used, what can they
expect?

I'm really getting tired of hearing about how Haiku must cater to YAB.
Every time you talk about it, YAB sounds worse and worse. I used to
make a living writing VB software, it can be done right, and it can be
done horribly horribly wrong. Poorly written software should not be an
excuse for holding back progress.