[haiku-development] Re: Removing About dialogs altogether

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 20:14:56 +0200

2011.12.05 19:55, Axel Dörfler rašė:
On 05.12.2011 18:03, Humdinger wrote:
Hi =?windows-1257?Q?Axel_D=F6rfler?=!
^^
Hey, what's up with your setup? :)

Not sure; I'm currently switching between Thunderbird and my provider's web UI. Each of those have their share of problems, it seems, but I don't remember which client I used there :-)

FTR, you used Thunderbird and it simply replied in my charset.

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:34:35 +0100 =?windows-1257?Q?Axel_D=F6rfler?=
wrote:
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to remove the replicant menu; I mean
agree it's pretty much useless, but there are also third party
applications out there (are there still? :-)) that might actually use
it
for something.
I don't think this is a sort of backwards-compatibility that's worth
sticking to. Can anyone come up with an app actually calling another
apps's replicant's About alert? I don't. Frankly, I'm hard pressed to
come up with any app relying on other replicants...

BeHappy would be a candidate, but that wasn't I meant. Replicants could do anything when they receive a B_ABOUT_REQUESTED - ie. they could even open a configuration dialog. This kind of functionality would no longer be accessible if you remove the menu item. It's only a theoretical problem, and we could still replace it with the title suggested by Rimas, and see if we'll receive a bug report about this or not :-)

"Doing anything" should not be happening when the user requests the about dialog. :)

WRT to replicants, we can only show how we do it for our
replicants and see if they follow (and maybe add it to our HIG one
day...).

It's not that simple, as you don't control that menu; it's created for you by the replicant shell view. If we change it, it would be changed for all replicants.

Well, let's not forget that clicking anywhere outside that handle (as in, on the replicant itself) is possible, and the application author can set up any menu items there.

Though actually I thought that the handler menu can also be altered, can't it? I assume that's why the method is called _BuildDefaultPopup and not _BuildPopupMenu. Or am I wrong?

Rimas