[haiku-development] Re: Removing About dialogs altogether

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 22:30:31 +0200

Hi Axel,

2011.12.04 20:34, Axel Dörfler rašė:
On 12/04/2011 06:49 PM, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
I would like to suggest the following changes. In fact, I'm even almost
certain that I could provide patches implementing this:
1) remove those dialogs from the applications altogether, to decrease
burden for localizers and avoid having almost-unused UI in the sources.
2) replace the "About" menu item of the replicant menu with an inactive
"title" menu item similar to the two "title" menu items in File open
dialog's Favorites menu. That title would only carry the application name.

My question is: if I began supplying patches implementing this
functionality, would they be accepted?

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to remove the replicant menu; I mean I agree it's pretty much useless, but there are also third party applications out there (are there still? :-)) that might actually use it for something. Maybe removing it for everything that lives in /system/ would be an option.
Other than that, it sounds like a good idea.

I did not say "remove replicant menu". What I'm saying is "remove the About item from the replicant menu". The menu would stay, but instead of having "About" and "Remove replicant" default items, it would have "----AppName----" (witout an action) and "Remove replicant".

Hope this clears things up a bit. :)

Rimas