[haiku-development] Re: RFC: /usr symlink?

  • From: Matthew Veety <mveety@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 22:46:42 -0400

Adding a /usr symlink is a good idea. It would make porting of other software easier and isn't a big deal. Running the shell scripts in question through sed would solve this problem, too. Adding /usr also doesn't turn Haiku into Linux. Let's note that many other Unixes had /usr long before Linux was a twinkle in Linus's eye.

On 10/10/13 22:27, scottmc wrote:
No.  We don't want to turn Haiku into Linux.

Rejecting something just because something else you don't like does it is irrational. I want a system that works, not one that's castrated by religious wars.

On 10/10/13 22:27, scottmc wrote:
You add a symlink from /usr to something, then when a configure script
tries to detect /usr it finds it and then starts making all sorts of
other assumptions.

Configure script argument is terrible. If they want to work on Haiku they should probably properly detect it. When I run one on FreeBSD, it doesn't think it's Linux because I have /usr. uname(1) exists for a reason.

On 10/10/13 22:27, scottmc wrote:
No, leave it as is and send patches upstream.

I don't think that developers would accept that. Changing the #! line will break the script on other systems.

--
Veety