[haiku-development] Re: RFC: /usr symlink?

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:05:17 -0400

Ryan Leavengood wrote:

If you can get even one project to accept an upstream patch which
changes #!/usr/bin/env to #!/bin/env, I'll agree. But it won't happen,
so the point is moot.

And this isn't mimicking just Linux, it is mimicking Linux, Mac OS X,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Cygwin and probably many other
systems where developers get work done every day.

I'm really surprised hearing this from someone who has done so much
porting to Haiku.

Your German joke is cute, but a better metaphor is English speakers
refusing to let schadenfreude enter the English lexicon because we
English speakers really just love saying "pleasure derived from the
misfortunes of others" so much more. What makes my joke so much more
funny is how it seems some Haiku developers have schadenfreude toward
Haiku users because of things like this. Purity sometimes does not
outweigh pragmatism.

Have a cold beer, Is there anyway to just not have it appear to be so linuxy, but the largest potential haiku audience is frustrated Linux users.

Hard to say, what is purity anyway, Haiku is made up of tons of FLOSS and GNU stuff to begin with.

Sean