[haiku-development] Re: ProcessController scheduler mode naming

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 01:49:38 +0100

Am 18.03.2014 um 19:26 schrieb Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> schrieb:
>> I don't
>> think that it's dumbing things down, since "low latency" is
>> definitely a
>> "performance" property in my book.
>
> While that is true, when I hear performance I think more of "high
> throughput" which is usually the opposite of "low latency" :)
> Maybe, similar to what Jonathan suggested, also rename it in English to
> "Responsive"? That's less technical but still accurate.

Exactly my thinking. Performance vs Power saving sounds like you change the
CPUs clock.

If I would have never used Haiku before and would see "Performance" and "Power
saving", I would think "Oh, so I can use this to change the clock of my CPU!"
If it would show me "Responsiveness" vs "Power saving", it'd be a little less
clear that it's low latency, but at least I would not think that it's about the
CPU's clock frequency. Maybe use a more 1:1 translation like "Quick reaction"?
Maybe it's just me because I'm not native, but Responsiveness doesn't sound to
me like what it actually is.

--
Jonathan