[haiku-development] Re: Package management: update / upgrade

  • From: Axel DÃrfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:41:55 +0100

On 11/20/2012 09:31 PM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
However, it is very unlikely that the repositories we will maintain will
contain *all* software for Haiku -- it's just too much work. I'm even
pretty sure that a good deal of what lives on HaikuWare will not be in
any of our repositories. So external repositories will happen and are
even desirable IMO.

Same thoughts here. I think Haiku should be able to maintain the repositories pretty much automatically, though, but that's a different topic (ie. if you download a package from a 3rd party, that package could have an embedded link to a repository that will automatically handle all of its updates from then on; if you use the package manager, Haiku could always store the source repository with a package to make this work). If a package is available from different repositories, you would need to choose that manually (which would affect dependencies as well, though).

Anyway, back to topic. I think it would be nice to set up a software site like BeBits or Haikuware that serves its own repository.

We should, however, define optional protocols for having comments and ratings in our end-user package manager application in a way that every repository provider can implement it.

Bye,
   Axel.