[haiku-development] Re: Package management: update / upgrade

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:09:01 +0100

On 11/20/2012 01:32 AM, Dancsà RÃbert wrote:
I have 2 ideas for the Package Management:

- Update any package / file with 'update link' attribute. The PM may use
a quick query for 'update link' attributes at start, and based on the
softwares with 'update link' it can build a list for updatable
softwares. And if we click on a "Find updates" button, than it will
search for update for all softwares in the list. So, the Haiku's PM can
search for updates for 3rd party software's (or documentations or any
file) too.
For example: if I have an application (/boot/apps/MyApp/App) with and
attribute "Update link" = "http://www.myserver.com/MyApp/App.zip";, the
PM can download and extract it.
We can also track the version changes too: (for example) at start the PM
will get my app's version. When the user click on the "Find updates"
button, the PM will download the
"http://www.myserver.com/MyApp/App.version"; file, witch may contain the
version and some description too. So, the PM can compare the versions,
and the user may see if tere is an updated version of the application.

The plan is to support an arbitrary number of repositories. Obviously there will be one for the core system, probably including Haiku Ports, but the user can add other repositories as well. To benefit from the updating facilities package management will provide, third party developers can publish their own repository. It would be nice to have some URL type that allows repository registration and package installation via a single click on link in the browser (plus some confirmation dialog, of course). I don't think any alternative update mechanism needs to be supported.

- Upgrade OS: just download the latest files ~ install from the
internet. There would be a Haiku (file) server where are the latest OS
files. So, the user just press a button ("Upgrade / Re-Install"), and
the PM will download (copy) all files from the server to local. This
would be as the same as we install from a CD (just copy the files from
the CD to the BFS partition). This can be a selectable option too in the
Installer's "Install from" menu. Of course it may create a backup of the
original folders (like apps.old, home.old).

OS upgrades via package management were planned anyway. Maybe I miss something you have in mind.

CU, Ingo