[haiku-development] Re: Outsourcing more command line apps to optionalpacakges

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:46:13 -0700

2010/10/13 Jérôme Duval <korli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/10/13 Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
>>> With vi, did it compile out of the box or does it still require
>>> patches? IMO if packages compile out of the box, then they can be
>>> moved out of our repository. If they cannot, having them in our svn
>>> repository is a very safe patch storage mechanism.
>>
>> I share this opinion. Also don't forget that it makes the life easier for
>> whoever works on other target architectures.
>
> Same here. From the ones listed above, I know coreutils requires
> patchs which we probably need to maintain in our repository.
>
> Bye,
> Jérôme

The problem I see with putting the patched files into our tree is that
the patches are then not so easy to locate.  Then when the package
gets updated there's no patch file to look at since the patch was
integrated into the source in Haiku.  The way patches are handled at
HaikuPorts is that they are kept as patch files until they are
accepted and applied upstream, at which point our chances of the next
revision/version being released, being able to "just build" on Haiku
are a greater.

As for making it easier for those working on other target
architectures?  Maybe in the longer run it would, but first they need
to get the core parts to build correctly, and if it's required that
they have to also build all these extra parts that may slow them down
in the shorter term wouldn't it?

I'm not saying we should outsource all of them, just ones where it
makes sense.  And to start that we'd need to know which ones
can/cannot be moved out.

-scottmc