[haiku-development] Re: OpenTargetFolder

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 02:35:43 +0200

On 2008-10-09 at 00:47:16 [+0200], julun <host.haiku@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold schrieb:
> > On 2008-10-08 at 18:53:39 [+0200], julun <host.haiku@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Now that i got the purpose of the add-on, just a short
> >> explanation. I thought first of you put a symlink to a directory
> >> e.g on the Desktop and then trying to open it's parent folder.
> >> Which would be easily solvable if we finally would enable the
> >> navigation bar in Tracker!
> >
> > There's an "Open Parent" menu item and shortcut. And I thought there was
> > also a shortcut for closing the current directory and opening the parent,
> > but maybe I have only dreamt that -- it really should exist, though.
>
> Yes i know, but while using the mouse why should i open a menu, scan
> the menu, navigate somewhere if it could be one click away? Of course
> this counts only if my hand is already on the mouse.

Ancestor directories can be opened quickly via the item count view anyway.
If one actually wants to open a sibling directory, not the parent, it is
probably even faster, since it also allows further browsing. It would be
cool, if holding down some modifier (Cmd) while opening a directory via a
browsing menu would also close the directory window owning the menu.

Anyway, depending on what window mode you prefer, you'll like the navigation
bar or won't like it, I guess.

> >> Single or multiple window browsing out
> >> of question here.
> >
> > The core feature of the multiple window mode is to be spatial. The
> > navigation bar simply doesn't make sense in this context; it only wastes
> > screen estate.
>
> Ah, i remember several years ago i had such a small screen too. I'm
> with you  :)

Well, the screen isn't that small, but I'm a window junkie. For a bigger
project, I like having frequently used directories open all the time. In
case of Haiku this are easily 15 - 20. :-)

> PS: I had hoped we could have some nice Indian food this month as
> well? This will probaly be skipped in favor of BeGeistert?

Yeah, we canceled the HUG meeting this month. Mostly my fault, forgetting
it. Next month...

CU, Ingo