[haiku-development] OpenJDK port

  • From: Hamish Morrison <hamish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:32:53 +0000

Hi,

Over the last couple of months I've been working on porting OpenJDK 7 to
Haiku, and I've now got it to the point where it builds and compiles,
and runs command line apps. (For the obligatory hello world screenshot
see [1].)

Specifically, the virtual machine port is complete (apart from the
serviceability agent), and the simpler parts of the class library, like
networking, IO, etc, are all ported, except in a couple of places where
functionality is missing on the Haiku end.

The major parts of the JDK still in need of porting are Java2D/AWT and
sound. As I understand it, there's a (partial?) JDK 1.4 implementation
of AWT and Java2D over at the haiku-port project on OpenJDK. If I could
update this to work with the latest sources and add whatever is missing
then this would definitely speed up the process compared to starting
from scratch. I'll enquire about this at the mailing list over there.

At the moment however, I'm going to start stripping my bootstrap hacks
out of the makefiles and see if the base JDK is stable enough to build
itself. I'll also get together some binaries / patches / build
instructions of what I've done so far so people can test this for
themselves.

Finally, I was wondering about pursuing this as a GSoC project? I
noticed that there are a couple of porting projects already on the ideas
page, and a complete JDK with graphics and sound would definitely open
up a wider range of applications to be ported with minimal effort to
Haiku. I'm not 100% sure, but given the entire summer I think that a
complete JDK might be a feasible goal.

-Hamish

[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61946213/jdkscreen.png