[haiku-development] Re: OpenJDK port

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:24:32 +0100

 Am 18.03.2012 23:32, schrieb Hamish Morrison:
> Over the last couple of months I've been working on porting OpenJDK 7 to
> Haiku, and I've now got it to the point where it builds and compiles,
> and runs command line apps. (For the obligatory hello world screenshot
> see [1].)

Awesome. The remaining tasks would be good to have broken down into
sub-projects as far as possible, as it would make it easier for others
to contribute. Along with the bootstrap instructions you already
mentioned.

A long time ago I wrote the original instructions for building Firefox
(known as Phoenix at the time) and it did help getting more help and
attention as it was easier for others to get started. It might be good
as an example of instructions:
http://wiki.bebits.com/page/BuildingFirebird

> Finally, I was wondering about pursuing this as a GSoC project? I
> noticed that there are a couple of porting projects already on the ideas
> page, and a complete JDK with graphics and sound would definitely open
> up a wider range of applications to be ported with minimal effort to
> Haiku. I'm not 100% sure, but given the entire summer I think that a
> complete JDK might be a feasible goal.

It wouldn't hurt to have it as an idea IMO.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH