[haiku-development] Re: Odd errors messages while building DEBUG=1

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:01:37 +0200

On 2012-02-06 at 02:52:02 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today, I tried booting a DEBUG=1 image. It failed miserably. To the
point where it won't even allow me to enter the boot menu options
screen or output any serial debug information.

This sounds like an issue very early in the boot process. Maybe even in the
stage 1 boot loader. IIRC since I wrote it a few people changed the code
also
with respect to debugging. I don't know its current state. It may not even
be
supposed to actually boot with debugging enabled but only print helpful
information. I suppose the easiest way to find out is to disable debugging
only for the stage 1 and later also for the state 2 boot loader and see when
things start to boot further again.

Replying to
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Odd-errors-messages-while-building-DEBUG1,1

Today, I built Haiku with the following UserBuildConfig
   SetConfigVar DEBUG : HAIKU_TOP : 1 : global ;
   SetConfigVar DEBUG : HAIKU_TOP src system boot : 0 : global ;

Unfortunately, Haiku still bombs out. The last few lines of the serial
debug are:

arch_init_timer: using APIC timer.
allocate_commpage_entry(2, 12) -> 0xffff0100
scheduler_init: found 4 logical cpus
scheduler_init: using simple SMP scheduler
Deleted referenceable object with non-zero ref count.
Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land...
Thread 1 "idle thread 1" running on CPU 0
kdebug>

This check has been introduced only a few months ago.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Enter "sc". ;-)

CU, Ingo