[haiku-development] Re: Networks Preferences #2

  • From: Casalinuovo Dario <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:16:22 +0200

2009/9/18 Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> Philippe Houdoin schrieb:
>

> I've now looked at Casalinuovo's work, although I have not tested it
> very throughroughly. My biggest gripe is that I don't get the panel. I
> know it is implementing Waldemar's design, but I without having read
> again what Waldemar wrote, I cannot grasp some important features of the
> panel. What are "networks"? Why can I move items between networks? Why
> can I remove items, instead of disabling them? I would rather see a
> panel that is self-explanatory. Somehow the average user with his/her
> needs is left in the dark here to enable some advanced uses. I feel I am
> such a novice user, since I have to admit I don't even know what a VPN
> is (although I know it stands for Virtual Private Network).

I only followed this proposal :
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/Networks%20Preferences

> While testing the panel a bit, I noticed some things don't work. For
> example clicking the Remove button removed my interface, but Revert All
> did not restore it.

I'm currently working on the preflet...This will be implemented.

> I would like Hardware to "stay hardware". I.e. the user cannot remove
> it. Disabling yes, but being able to remove it seems plain wrong to me.

i "resolved" the issue mentioned by you in the last days (i updated the
patch in the trac http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/820).

> In terms of code, I have not yet looked at the testing panel you wrote,
> and I only looked at some files from Casalinuovo. The newer code tried
> to follow the guide lines more closely, but it should do better. The
> older code definitely needs cleanup. But there are also issues with the
> code itself, for example, I saw new being used where objects should be
> used on the stack, and resulting leaks in error code paths. Also the
> destructor is called directly instead of using delete. Stuff like that,
> I could give a lot of feedback on just the few files I looked at, but
> since since I find it so weird how the current panel works, I couldn't
> bring myself to spend the effort.

I called directly the destructor only in Settings.cpp...old code : ) thanks
for letting me know.

You know that i'm not an expert, i'm only trying to learn and trying to
contribute if i can really.

I would really like to see us produce a quality Network preflet. It
> should use modern design patterns and just be a great application from
> the inside to the outside. And it should be easy to use and obvious to
> the novice user.

I agree with you, so since my code is bad i don't have problems to put it in
the garbage if another guy that can do a better work.