[haiku-development] Re: Is it time to talk about R1/A3 ?

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:32:37 +0200

Hi Matt,

On 11 October 2010 17:40, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now that things have calmed down with GSoC, networking, and
> mediaplayer+mediakit, would it be a good time to start thinking about
> R1/A3?

I would argue that it is time to start thinking about R1.

It has been long enough of a wait: many components are
production-ready. IMO we should now start defining the requirements
for the beta stage and the final release stage, and (this will make me
impopular) stimulate everyone (perhaps with some financial help from
Haiku Inc.) to work towards implementing those features. If this list
is 'done', we can then decide to do a time-based release schedule as
in-between checkpoints. My take would be six months for a
non-production release cycle (alphas and betas), with one month
'freeze' periods.

Kind regards,